This sweet and simple craft is perfect for Mother's Day! Rock painting is a great way to get outside, enjoy the sunshine, and be creative. Mother's and Grandmother's can use their rocks as paperweights or decorations in their homes and gardens. You can use your "create" and "show love" tokens to make this special gift for a loved one.
We chose to paint rocks with both spring florals and cacti and we love how they turned out! A cactus is a great option for a younger child as it only requires painting rocks green and then adding white detail. This is something that my two year old was able to do! The florals can be as simple or elaborate as you want them to be.
- Rocks (flat and smooth work best)
- Paint Brushes
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Palette, Plate, Bowl, or Cardboard to squeeze paint onto
- Newspaper or other covering to protect surface
- Optional: Acrylic Spray Sealer
- Optional: Painting smock or old shirt
- Collect rocks to paint. We gathered ours from the garden but they can also be bought at a home improvement or landscaping store. Look for smooth river rocks.
- Wash rocks, pat with a towel, and leave out in the sun to fully dry.
- Set up an area for painting by covering your surface with newspaper and prepare painting materials.
- Paint rocks!
- Allow painted rocks to dry overnight.
- Optional: spray acrylic sealant to help preserve rocks.